What do you really desire?
Having a deep, burning, emotionally moving desire to achieve something is a sign that you might have at least the rudimentary potential to do it. This natural potential is trying to find expression through you.
The ‘naturalness’ or authenticity of your desire is essential: it must genuinely come from within (intrinsic motivation), and not be primarily motivated from without (extrinsic motivation).
So the first important question is: what do you really want?
How badly do you want it?
There is a big difference between something you would like and a burning desire.
Knowing what you really want is not easy because it requires introspection or self-awareness.
A genuine desire is expansive, infused with emotion, and pulls you forward, while a mere wish consists of nice-to-haves, material or status gains, and does not require the development and expression of your talents.
If you’re not sure whether something you want is a burning desire or not, it almost certainly is not.
Jim Rohn describes the difference between a burning desire and a mere wish nicely in this video:
How to move forward from desire to reality?
Becoming clear on what you sincerely desire is the first step.
The next step is creating a simple plan of action that will start moving you forward in the desired direction. This plan should not be complex, and you must let go of any tendency to perfectionism while putting it together. You will have to revise and adjust as you navigate the journey.
A simple plan allows you to start taking action quickly. Don’t make complex, elaborate plans. Learn to surrender to the process, take the first step, and learn through real-life experience.
Interactive tool to plant your desire deep in your subconscious
Below is a tool that will help you define your burning desire. It also teaches a simple technique to program your subconscious mind to look for ways to manifest your dreams.
This exercise will take just a few minutes right now. In the last step, you can download your results.
Be sure to follow the guidelines at the end. Doing the repetitive work will make this process work for you or not. Without the power of repetition, emotion, and action, this tool will be utterly useless.
Assume your desire is on its way
After completing the exercise, pat yourself on the back!
From then on:
- Assume that your desire is on its way to becoming a reality. It is only a matter of time and focused energy.
- Do not push your desire away by clinging to the outcome of this process. Surrender to the process and practice the art of goal detachment.
- Do not get discouraged by setbacks! They are nothing but obstacles to test your resolve. Overcoming them will teach you what you need to learn to reach your dream. You can use cognitive reframing to make your blocks look smaller.
- Keep adding constructive energy to your desire by thinking positively about it.
- Simulate what it would feel like if your desire had already been attained. By doing this, you draw your future reality into the present moment by assuming the feeling of your wish being fulfilled.
- Act on your plan as if it were impossible to fail.
- If you feel your plan needs an update, do not hesitate to do so.
- Additional techniques, such as visualization and affirmations, can be helpful.
If you continue to take these steps, moving closer to achieving your goal will be inevitable.
Good luck, keep moving forward, and enjoy the journey!